Real-time news: Queensland’s lockdown extended, 13 new cases added


Queensland’s chief medical officer came under fire after doubling down on AstraZeneca’s recommendations.

news site

August 2, 2021 11:51 am

live

Last updated: August 2, 2021 11:56 am and

Queensland’s Chief Health Officer, Dr. Jeanette Young, was slammed after insisting on her remarks. She said she would not recommend the AstraZeneca vaccine to 18-year-old girls.

The recommendation to restrict the use of AstraZeneca to people under the age of 60 was made after a blood clotting disorder called thrombocytopenia (TTS) was identified as a rare but serious side effect.

The graph shows that the risk of death from TTS after vaccination is one in a million or one in two million.

Dr. Young had previously stated that she would not recommend the vaccine to anyone under 60, but added that those who wish to get vaccinated should contact their general practitioner.

“I said that I don’t want an 18-year-old child to have AstraZeneca. And I still don’t,” she said on Monday morning.

There are now 31 active cases of Delta strain in Queensland.

These comments were slammed because New South Wales and Victoria encouraged their communities to take action and prevent further lockdowns.

Australian political columnist Peter Van Onselen called these comments “ridiculous,” and Sky News reporter Laura Jayes accused Dr. Young of being a freelancer.

If you missed something on the weekend Can catch up here. Or you can always learn about Covid in New South Wales News here.

Live Update

Mitchell Van Holmley

The Australian Immunization Technical Advisory Group issued a new vaccine recommendation last month, telling people living in the outbreak area of ​​the delta-it is recommended that people under 60 be vaccinated with AstraZeneca.

Both the Victorian and New South Wales governments have seized on the proposed changes and they urge young people to discuss possible vaccinations with their general practitioners.

In the recommendation, the organization explained that areas where Pfizer’s employees are short in outbreak areas “should reassess the benefits of vaccinating AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine for them and their contacts, as well as the rare risk of serious side effects”.

“In the case of an outbreak that received the first dose of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine more than 4 weeks ago, the vaccine provider should be contacted to arrange the second dose as soon as possible.”

Mitchell Van Holmley

Recent data shows that most Covid cases in New South Wales are found in young people.

In the past two weeks, nearly 25% of cases in New South Wales have occurred in people under 19 years of age, and this proportion has increased to 35% in people under 30 years of age.

It is not accidental that the number of people over 60 infected with the virus is far fewer than the rest of the community. They have been able to obtain the vaccine for several months. They work, go get one. @9NewsAUS pic.twitter.com/25XR0O3XWy

— Chris O’Keeffe (@cokeefe9) July 29, 2021

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Mitchell Van Holmley

Queensland’s chief health officer redoubled her efforts on her controversial AstraZeneca proposal.

Dr. Janet Young has previously stated that she does not want 18-year-old children to be vaccinated because it is extremely unlikely to cause blood clots.

This is in stark contrast to New South Wales, which urges everyone to talk to their doctors about the minimal risks associated with vaccines.

“I remain firm. If you look around the world, if they (young people) think they are at special risk, please go talk to their own doctor immediately,” she said.

“I said that I don’t want an 18-year-old child to have AstraZeneca. But I still don’t want to.”

Mitchell Van Holmley

Queensland’s top health officials are most worried about the spread of the delta epidemic in schools.

“I am really, very concerned about these six schools. We know that Delta is more likely to spread among young people,” she said.

“So in the previous outbreak, we knew that young people were not affected. But Delta has a closer affinity with respiratory cells, and we know that young people are at greater risk.”

Mitchell Van Holmley

Queensland’s Chief Health Officer, Dr. Janet Young, admitted that she did not know how the Delta outbreak spread in the community.

She said: “I really don’t know how the two people who came to Queensland on June 29 were infected. Now we have seen this outbreak.”

“I don’t know how these two primitive people became this family of five. They were the first people I found in the cluster.”

Mitchell Van Holmley

Queensland Police Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski confirmed that his police officers had to respond to the protests-on the day the lockdown was extended.

“My message to those who tied up hundreds of police
What can be done is to go home. Now is not the time to protest. Put the interests of community safety before your own point of view,” he said.

Mitchell Van Holmley

Health Minister Yvette D’ath urged Queenslanders to learn from the state’s most stringent lockdown regulations.

“This kind of blockade is more difficult for good reasons. We are trying to save lives. Therefore, the number of people allowed to enter the home is zero. Where can you go. What can you do,” she said.

“This time the rules are stricter. So please don’t rely on information you know about the number of parties, outdoor activities and wearing masks. Check the road map. Visit the Queensland COVID website.”

Mitchell Van Holmley

Due to the delta outbreak, this year’s Ekka version has been cancelled.

Lieutenant Governor Steven Myers confirmed that the event will not continue.

“It will not go on. I know this is sad and disappointing for many Queenslanders who love their annual ceremony and annual Ekka trip,” he said.

“We can’t bear an incident like this. People go into the city and there is a lot of movement. The risk is too great.”

Steven Myers, Lieutenant Governor of Queensland. Image: NCA Newswire / Dan Peled
Steven Myers, Lieutenant Governor of Queensland. Image: NCA Newswire / Dan Peled

Mitchell Van Holmley

Lieutenant Governor Steven Miles has confirmed that the lockdown will be extended beyond 4 pm on Tuesday.

The blockade will end on Sunday, and Mr. Myers urged everyone to stay at home.

He said: “Please consider, if you absolutely need to work, please leave home.”





Source link

Recommended For You

About the Author: News Center