There’s no cream in this creamy pasta recipe. Instead, the roasted zucchini creates a delicious, creamy zucchini sauce over pasta. Perfect as a meatless main dish or as a side with your favorite protein!
Pasta with Creamy Zucchini Sauce
This easy Pasta with Creamy Zucchini Sauce is made with roasted zucchini, onions, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. The vegetables are pureed until smooth and tossed with the pasta. My daughter Karina loved this recipe!! It’s so good – you won’t believe the sauce has no cream! More of my favorite creamy pasta recipes without cream are this Cajun Chicken Pasta, and Spaghetti with Butternut Leek Parmesan Sauce.
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- Healthy: This pasta dish is very light since the sauce is made mostly of zucchini and broth.
- Easy: This creamy zucchini pasta recipe is simpler than it might look. The only prep is slicing the vegetables. Once they’re roasted, the sauce comes together in just a few minutes.
- Summer Zucchini: I grow zucchini every summer and always look for new ways to use it before it goes bad. This meal is perfect for using seasonal produce.
Creamy Zucchini Pasta Ingredients
- Zucchini: Slice three to four medium zucchini.
- Onion and Garlic roast with the zucchini.
- Olive Oil gets drizzled over the veggies.
- Salt and Pepper season the vegetables. Also, you’ll need some salt for the pasta water.
- Broth: Use chicken or vegetable broth for the sauce.
- Parmesan: Grated parmesan cheese adds flavor and creaminess to the zucchini sauce without adding cream.
- Pasta: Any small pasta shape will work – cavatappi, fusilli, or rigatoni are all good options.
How to Make Pasta with Creamy Zucchini Sauce
- Roast the Zucchini: Toss the zucchini, garlic, and onions with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture on a sheet pan and roast at 425°F for 25 minutes until tender and browned.
- Cook the Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil while the vegetables roast. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the
water, and return the noodles to the pot.
- Make the Creamy Zucchini Sauce: Remove the vegetables from the oven when done and transfer them to a blender. Add the parmesan cheese and broth and puree until smooth.
- Pasta Water: Pour the zucchini sauce over the pasta, adding the reserved water to loosen the sauce to your desired consistency. Top with fresh black pepper and serve with Parmesan.
- Squash: Swap zucchini with yellow squash or use a combination of both.
- Pasta: Use whole wheat pasta for more fiber and protein or make it with gluten-free pasta.
- Vegetables: Add tomatoes to the pasta for an extra vegetable.
- Protein: Toss in grilled chicken or shrimp for additional protein. You can also add some mozzarella cheese.
- Herbs: Top your zucchini pasta with fresh basil.
What to Serve with Creamy Zucchini Pasta
How to Store
This easy creamy zucchini pasta will last up to four days in the refrigerator or freezer for up to three months. To eat, thaw it first and then microwave until warm.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Toss zucchini with garlic, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper and spread on a sheet pan. Roast 425F about 25 minutes, until tender and browned, tossing halfway.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, add the pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente.
Drain the pasta reserving some of the water and return to the pot.
Remove the vegetables from the oven when done and transfer to a blender. Add the parmesan cheese and broth. Puree until smooth.
Toss with the pasta, adding reserved water, as needed to loosen the sauce to your desired taste.
Top with fresh black pepper and serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 1/2 cups, Calories: 390 kcal, Carbohydrates: 66 g, Protein: 14 g, Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 5.5 mg, Sodium: 244 mg, Fiber: 4 g, Sugar: 7.5 g