The Meximelt has always been my favorite thing at Taco Bell since they opened in the 80s. So, naturally, I was bummed when they took it off the menu! But have no fear—this homemade, healthier copycat version made with ground turkey is so good and simple to make. My whole family loves them! If you’re also a Taco Bell fan, don’t miss this copycat Cheeseburger Crunch Wrap.
Why This Meximelt Recipe Works
- Flavorful: The well-seasoned taco meat with fresh pico de gallo and melty cheese results in a satisfying, tasty flavor combo.
- Healthy: Using lean ground turkey and low-carb tortillas makes this homemade Meximelt lighter than fast food.
- Quick Assembly: After the ground turkey cooks, just layer the meat, pico, and cheese in a tortilla, wrap it up, and microwave it for a minute.
- Pico de Gallo: Tomato, scallion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, kosher salt
- Taco Meat: Buy 93% lean ground turkey.
- Garlic and Onion: Mince two garlic cloves and half of a small onion.
- Bell Pepper: Mince two tablespoons of red bell pepper.
- Liquid: You’ll need water and canned tomato sauce.
- Taco Seasoning: My taco seasoning recipe includes garlic powder, cumin, kosher salt, chili powder, sweet paprika, and dried oregano.
- Tortillas: My favorite low-carb flour tortillas are La Banderita’s Carb Counter Tortillas.
- Meximelt Cheese: Use shredded Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend.
How to Make a Meximelt
- Make Pico de Gallo: Combine the pico de gallo ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. Before adding it to the Meximelt, drain it so the tortillas don’t get soggy.
- Cook the Taco Meat: Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it into smaller pieces. When it’s no longer pink, sprinkle the taco seasoning over it.
- Simmer Tomato Sauce: Stir in the onion, garlic, bell pepper, water, and tomato sauce and cover the skillet. Simmer on low for about 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the flavors meld. Uncover and cook over medium heat for a few minutes until the liquid reduces and evaporates. If there’s too much liquid, it will make the tortillas soggy.
- Warm the tortillas by wrapping them in a clean dish towel and microwaving for about 20 seconds. They should be pliable so they don’t crack.
- Assemble the Meximelt: Top each tortilla with a quarter cup of cheese, a third cup of taco meat, and some pico. Fold in the sides and roll it up like a burrito.
- Melt the Cheese: Wrap each Meximelt in a damp paper towel and microwave each one for one minute. Remove and serve immediately.
- Meat: Swap ground turkey for ground beef.
- Time Savers: Buy pico de gallo and taco seasoning from the supermarket to save time.
- Tortillas: Substitute flour tortillas with whole wheat ones or use gluten-free tortillas, like Siete.
- Not a fan of cilantro? Omit it from the pico de gallo.
- Bell Pepper: Sub any color bell pepper for a red one.
What to Serve with Meximelts
This easy Meximelt recipe is great for a quick lunch, especially if you already have all the ingredients prepared. If you’re serving them for dinner and want a more filling meal, below are some ideas:
Meximelts are best eaten right after they’re assembled and heated. If you have leftover ingredients, store them separately for up to four days and make them right before serving.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 meximelt
For the ground taco meat:
To prepare the pico de gallo toss all of the ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. Once ready to use, drain so your mexi melt doesn’t get soggy.
Brown the turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks. When no longer pink add taco seasoning and mix well.
Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, water and tomato sauce, stir and cover. Simmer on low for about 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the flavors meld.
Uncover and cook over medium heat until the liquid reduces and evaporates if too liquidy to avoid soggy tortillas, 3 to 5 more minutes.
Warm Microwave the flour tortillas in a clean dish towel, for about 20 seconds, or until they are pliable so they don’t crack.
Top each tortilla with 3/4 ounce (about 1/4 cup) cheese, 1/3 cup taco meat, and some of the pico de gallo. Fold in the sides and roll up like a burrito.
Wrap each Meximelt in a damp paper towel and microwave for 60 seconds each.
Remove and serve immediately.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 meximelt, Calories: 224 kcal, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Protein: 21.5 g, Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 61 mg, Sodium: 640.5 mg, Fiber: 12 g, Sugar: 2 g