Chris Silverwood’s future still in doubt as Ashley Giles leaves directorial role

[ad_1]

Chris Silverwood’s future as England men’s manager remains in doubt following the departure of general manager Ashley Giles.

The England and Wales Cricket Board announced that Gilles had resigned from his post on Wednesday night as it looked back on a disastrous 4-0 Ashes series defeat and a string of poor results throughout 2021.

But the ECB has yet to confirm the future of Silverwood and batting coach Graham Thorpe after England lost nine of their 15 Tests last year and were beaten in the T20 World Cup semi-finals in November.

2GF2K9J England head coach Chris Silverwood at a Nets meeting in Emerald Headingley, Leeds. Image Date: Monday, August 23, 2021.

Sir Andrew Strauss, chairman of the ECB’s cricket committee and former England captain, will replace Gilles on an interim basis in preparation for next month’s three-Test series in the West Indies.

Giles has apologised for England’s poor performance following a decisive third Test defeat in Melbourne, but insists a massive clean-up at the top is not the answer format to the deep problems that have led to the team’s red-ball slide.

But despite Giles’ warning, the former Test spinner has left, and the ECB could make further changes.

Ashley Giles
BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS – FEBRUARY 21: News from England men’s cricketer Ashley Giles managing director at the team hotel on February 21, 2019 in Bridgetown, Barbados Address the media at the press conference. (Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)

Giles said: “The past few years have been filled with incredible challenges and I am proud of the results we have been able to deliver in the toughest of circumstances. It certainly protects the future of the England and Wales game.

“Despite these challenges, over the past three years we have become over 50 world champions, the world’s No. 1 T20I team, we are still the No. 4 Test team, and our under-19s have just entered the World Cup. Finals for the first time in 24 years. I wish all our players and staff great success in the future.”

Strauss made his recommendations to the board after receiving reports from Giles and Silverwood last week about the England Ashes’ defeat.

The main criticism of their leadership has been around Australia’s team selection and decision-making, as well as last year’s controversial rotation policy due to crowded schedules during the coronavirus pandemic.

Former England captain Michael Atherton said this week that the men’s Ashes performance was “anathema to the team’s coaching and management positions”.

On Giles’ departure, ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said: “Under Giles’ leadership, the team has achieved some remarkable results, most memorably at the 2019 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup. Delivered dramatic victories while tackling some of the most challenging matches of the era British cricket has ever experienced.

“In the ashes of this winter’s disappointing men, we have to make sure we create the conditions in the race to enable our Test team to be successful.”

There have been further calls for Tom Harrison to resign after a dismal year for the ECB. The controversial Hundred Championship and its impact on domestic cricket, England’s poor Test performance, the Yorkshire racism scandal and the £2.1million prize shared among ECB presidents including Harrison have led to the Loud calls for Harrison to resign.

Australia coach Justin Lange has reportedly denied the bonus. The Daily Telegraph Australia reported that Langer believed it would be “morally inappropriate” after Cricket Australia cut jobs in the wake of the pandemic. No official announcement has been made on the matter.

The red-faced ECB decided in January not to authorize further spending after backlash from the public and players. However, the ECB president has kept the cricketing public at bay for the last year.

PA Media

[ad_2]

Source link