Whether you’re someone looking to start building your credit or someone with poor credit looking to begin again, a starter credit card is probably a good choice for you.
For the most part, starter credit cards can be broken into three main categories: secured credit cards, unsecured starter credit cards, and student credit cards.
Each of these has different requirements and benefits. However, no matter the category, a good starter credit card is one that is easy to qualify for, has low annual fees, reports to all three credit bureaus, and sometimes even lets you upgrade to a better card.
Ultimately which card will work for you depends on your needs and credit history, but we’ve gathered all the best starter credit cards from each category to get your started.
As you look, keep in mind that the purpose of this card is to establish a good credit history, so that you can ultimately move on to bigger and better credit cards in the future.
The Best Starter Credit Cards
- Capital One QuickSilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card: Best for Simple Cash Back
- Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express: Best for Non-US Credit Histories
- Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa Credit Card: Best for No Fees
- Tomo Credit Card: Best for Focused Credit Growth
- Discover it Student CashBack Credit Card: Best for Overall Student Card
- Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students: Best for International Students
- Discover it Secured Credit Card: Best Overall Secured Credit Card
- Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card: Best for Flexible Deposit
- US Bank Altitude Go Visa Secured Card: Best for Dining Rewards
Capital One QuickSilverOne
Best for Simple Cash Back
- 1.5% cash back on everyday purchases
- Higher credit line possible in 6 months
The Capital One QuickSilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card is a traditional, unsecured credit card that accepts fair credit, allowing some less established credit users to qualify. With 1.5% cash back on every purchase,…