The best gas credit cards don’t always come from gas stations. In fact, because fuel costs make up such a small percentage of the average American budget (we spend about $5,000 on fuel each year), many people find that they can get better rewards with general cash back credit cards, travel credit cards or even grocery store credit cards.
At a minimum, gas credit cards should include great rewards for fuel expenses (3% cash back is a good minimum to aim for), but you might also look for perks like discounts on in-store gas station purchases or savings at the fuel pump .
We’ve put together this of the best gas credit cards — including a mix of travel credit cards, grocery store credit cards and actual branded gas station cards — to help you make your decision.
The Best Gas Credit Cards
- Citi Premier Card: Best Overall Gas Credit Card
- Citi Custom Cash Card: Best for Flexible Spending
- Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express: Best for Balancing Everyday Expenses
- US Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card: Best for Road Trippers
- BPme Rewards Visa Signature Card: Best Gas Station Loyalty Card
- Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi: Best for Costco Members
- Sam’s Club Mastercard: Best for Sam’s Club Members
- Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard: Best for Average Credit
- ExxonMobil Smart Card+: Best for Fair Credit
Citi Premier Card
Best Overall Gas Credit Card
- Great rewards for gas, dining and groceries
- Huge welcome bonus
- Flexible reward redemption
The Citi Premier Card tops our list of the best gas credit cards because it offers 3x points on all gas purchases — on top of a lot of other great benefits. In fact, you’ll earn 3x points at restaurants, at grocery stores and on air travel and hotels. In addition, there are no foreign transaction fees and you receive a $100 annual hotel savings benefit.
Citi Premier Card