If you are a Lyft or Uber driver, you know the importance of tracking work-related mileage and expenses.
You need this information to appease the gods of the IRS to file tax returns and ensure that you squeeze the last cent out of the deduction.
But ride-sharing drivers are not the only ones eligible for mileage tax relief.If you drive a private vehicle for other types of paid work or use it for Charity, moving or medical purposes, You may also be eligible for the standard mileage deduction.
6 free mileage tracker apps we like
In the past, tracking mileage meant taking out a crumpled notebook from the glove box and hoping that your pen did not run out of ink.
But now there is an app that can meet all needs-including an app that automatically tracks mileage for you.
This is our favorite.
1. Eternal Spear
This multifunctional app can not only track your mileage, but also help you track all other business expenses.
Spear Start and stop automatically. It will detect when your car starts to drive and record the number of miles you have driven. With a quick swipe of your finger, you can classify each trip as work-related or personal. You can also set your working hours, during which the drive is automatically classified as a business trip.
There are three pricing tiers:
- basic: Track 30 automatic trips per month without paying any fees. You will also get unlimited receipt uploads and IRS compliance reports.
- High quality: Pay $5 per month or $8 per month and you will get unlimited automatic travel per month. You can also synchronize your credit and debit cards, receive PDF and Excel reports, and get functions such as a charge finder.
- Advanced+: For a monthly payment of US$10, or a monthly payment of US$12, you will get all the features of the advanced level, as well as separate training for account managers and customer support.
Stride It is a free application that runs in the background, quietly records every mile you travel, and then generates a report that can be used for IRS, which you can use to pay taxes.
3. Travel log
Travel log There are eight different mileage tracking options. There are three pricing options, all of which offer a 30-day free trial:
- Lite: This free manual option is for a single user and can track up to 40 trips per month, as well as tolls and parking spaces. It can only be used as an application and cannot be used on the network.
- High quality: This option can be used by up to 10 users. Each user costs $4.99 per month. If billed annually, the charge is $59.99. It can be used as an app or on the web, and it automatically tracks the itinerary. You can also add expenses such as fuel and meal costs.
- Premium + time: This option can be used by up to 10 users, and it costs $6.67 per user per month or $79.99 per year. In addition to the functions of the Premium plan, it also includes time tracking, check-in/check-in schedule, etc.
Hurdle Track mileage, expenses, income, and tax deductions. The three pricing options are:
- free: This version includes unlimited mileage tracking, as well as the ability to increase income and expenses. It also provides tax calculation summaries and the ability to export or send reports via email.
- High quality: Pay $5 per month or $8 per month and you will get unlimited mileage tracking, as well as expense tracking and income tracking. You will also get the results of the state tax and self-employment tax calculations.
- Dear: This option costs $10 per month and is billed annually. In addition to advanced functions, you can also get annual tax declarations, invoices, accounting, advanced accounting, etc.
Hurdlr connects to thousands of financial institutions, allowing users to link their Hurdlr account to their bank or credit union. Every time you receive a payment, Hurdlr will send you a real-time notification. It also integrates with Uber, Square, Freshbooks, Stripe and Paypal to automatically import expenses and revenue.
5. Mileage IQ
Miles IQ Includes a free version that tracks 40 trips per month. You can also choose one of two unlimited options: The first option costs $5.99 a month and includes unlimited mileage tracking, which is said to be best for occasional driving. The second fee is $4.99 per month or $59.99 per year and includes automatic mileage recording for people who drive frequently.
Like other mileage tracking apps, MileIQ will automatically capture your drive and provide a comprehensive mileage log when you need it. You can classify your drives into categories such as business, personal, or charity, and then just swipe with your thumb to assign them to the correct list-or let MileIQ do it automatically.
6. Mileage expense record
Mileage expense record It is a free application. It is known for its included rate book, which allows users to quickly view mileage rates. As long as you turn on the GPS of your phone, the mileage expense log will automatically track and record all your drives.
If you are a digital processing expert, you would like to sort data by date, usage, and even vehicle. Alternatively, you can export the entire database as HTML or CSV.
Mileage fee log is only available for iOS iTunes And includes support for Apple Watch.
Lisa McGreevy is the former guest writer of The Penny Hoarder.