Cuba: Dissident artist discharged from hospital after 4 weeks | Art Culture News

[ad_1]

The leader of the San Isidro protest movement, Luis Manuel Otero Alcantara, was admitted to the hospital on May 2 after a hunger strike.

Havana public health authorities said on Monday that a dissident Cuban artist who went on a hunger strike for eight days had been discharged from hospital.

The 33-year-old San Isidro protest movement (MSI) leader Luis Manuel Otero Alcantara (Luis Manuel Otero Alcantara) started a hunger strike last month in protest against the confiscation of his wife. Pieces of work.

he is Admission On May 2, he went on a hunger strike for eight days.

Iris Ruiz, a friend and activist of Otero Alcantara, told Reuters: “I am really happy and pleased, at least he is at home now.” “Before. There is too much uncertainty.”

The General Calisto García University Hospital where he was treated declared that “he is fully recovered” and said that Otero Alcantara “reiterated his gratitude to those who took every opportunity to take care of him.”

In the early days of his hospitalization, the authorities released a video of his health, but people close to Otero Alcantara said they were unable to communicate with him.

Amnesty International described him as a “prison of conscience” earlier this month, saying that the national security agency appeared to have supervised and quarantined him in the hospital.

US State Department official Julie Zhong expressed concern about Otero Alcantara’s condition when he was admitted to the hospital and urged the Cuban government to “take immediate measures to protect his life and health.”

The US Embassy in Cuba also stated at the time that Otero Alcantara, like all Cubans, “deserves dignity and respect.”

After being arrested last month, he was released, but was arrested many times for trying to leave his home surrounded by police.

During his hunger strike, his internet service was cut off and the police prevented people including two priests from visiting Otero Alcantara.

MSI claimed that he was forcibly taken to the hospital and the official medical report on his condition was “confusing and contradictory”.

As a sign of solidarity, about 20 Cuban artists last week asked to hide their work at the Havana Museum of Fine Arts from the public. The museum rejected this request, saying it was not in the “public interest.”

73-year-old painter Tomas Sanchez wrote on Facebook: “Cuban art is going through a dark period…convicting differences is not—and never will—is the path to coexistence.”

Held by members of the San Isidro Movement Rare protest In November, the Ministry of Culture opposed restrictions on freedom of speech and the detention of artists and activists.

Since then, the authorities began to denounce its members and allies to the state-run media as instigators of cooperating with the United States to destabilize the government. The organization denied these allegations.



[ad_2]

Source link

Recommended For You

About the Author: News Center