Among allegations of abuse of Uighurs, more than 40 countries urged China to allow the United Nations to enter Xinjiang.
More than 40 countries urged China on Tuesday to allow UN human rights officials to immediately enter Xinjiang for investigations report More than one million people were illegally In custody There, some people were subjected to torture or forced labor.
Canadian Ambassador Leslie Norton read a joint statement on China to the UN Human Rights Council on behalf of Australia, Britain, France, Germany, Japan and the United States.
Beijing denies all allegations of abuse of Uyghurs and describes the camps as vocational training facilities to combat “religious extremism.”
The joint statement said: “Reliable reports indicate that more than one million people in Xinjiang have been arbitrarily detained, and that extensive surveillance has disproportionately targeted Uyghurs and members of other ethnic minorities, and restricted fundamental freedoms and Uyghur culture.”
“We urge China to allow independent observers, including the High Commissioner, to enter Xinjiang immediately, meaningfully and unrestricted,” it added, referring to Michelle Bachelet.
Bachelet Tell the council On Monday, she hopes to agree on the terms of this year’s visit to China, including Xinjiang, to review reports of serious violations of Muslim Uighurs.
Since September 2018, her office has been negotiating access rights.
Jiang Yingfeng, a senior diplomat at the Chinese Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva, refuted the statement on Tuesday, calling it a “politically motivated” interference.
“We welcome the High Commissioner to visit China and Xinjiang. This visit is to promote exchanges and cooperation, not an investigation based on the so-called presumption of guilt,” he told the Security Council, but did not give a timetable.
The Canadian-led statement cited reports of torture, forced sterilization, sexual violence, and forced separation of children from their parents.
It condemned a law that was implemented in Hong Kong a year ago against what China considers to be secession and terrorism. The first trial is scheduled to begin this week, with people arrested under the legislation.
The statement said: “We continue to be deeply concerned about the deterioration of Hong Kong’s fundamental freedoms under the National Security Law and the human rights situation in Tibet.”
Jiang Zemin said: “Since the promulgation of the National Security Law, Hong Kong has undergone a transformation from chaos to the rule of law.”
The statement read by Canada was read a few hours later by China and its allies call Independent investigation of last month’s findings remains More than 200 aboriginal children are in the former Kamloops Indian boarding school.
China’s move angered Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who later condemned what he called “systematic abuse and human rights violations” in Xinjiang, saying that the Canadian Truth and Reconciliation Commission had been working to address the issue of indigenous peoples from 2008 to 2015. The problem of abuse.
“Where is China’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission? Where is their truth? Canada has always shown openness and where is Canada’s responsibility for the terrible mistakes of the past?” Trudeau asked.