The result is much better than standard grocery store roast chicken (and better for you!). If you have a well-stocked spice cabinet, you hardly need to buy anything to make this dish.
What you will find in this article
How to cook chicken in a crock
Simply mix some basic herbs and spices, rub them on the chicken (I even season the inside of the chicken cavity and under the skin of the chicken breast), add the onion and chicken to the slow cooker and cook on high heat for 4-5 hours. That’s it ! No liquid is needed.
After the chicken is cooked, it tastes good enough to serve as a main dish on its own, or you can add it to other foods such as pasta, chicken salad, chicken patties or casseroles (I have listed some of my favorite ideas below) .You don’t need anything fancy, we use a very Basic crock It can be purchased on Amazon for approximately $40.
Another wonderful technique (I learned from a friend!) Leave the bones in the clay pot to make some broth Stay overnight while you sleep-see below for more information.
Wow! ! Brains open! Thank you so much for this recipe. I had to call my mother and my mother-in-law about this recipe. The chicken is fully cooked. We are cooking the stock right now, and I will make homemade noodles to match. come on!
The best whole chicken in a crock pot recipe
I tried a lot of pot chicken recipes, this is by far the best (and easiest) slow-cooked whole chicken recipe, it keeps the meat super moist and delicious falling off the bone-and it’s a good one If you usually only make chicken breasts, change it!
Serving size: 5
The best whole chicken in a crock pot recipe
Amount per serving
234 calories from fat
% Daily Value*
fat 26 grams40%
Saturated fat 7g44%
cholesterol 130 mg43%
sodium 589 mg26%
Potassium 379 mg11%
carbohydrate 3 grams1%
protein 32 grams64%
Vitamin A 680IU14%
Vitamin C 4.5 mg5%
calcium 28 mg3%
iron 2 mg11%
* The daily percentage value is based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Some useful tips from readers:
- If you use boneless skinless chicken breasts in this recipe, you need to add some water to the plate before cooking, otherwise, they may dry out.
- You can also cook a small turkey with this recipe; place it breast down.
- You can cook it longer (for example, if you have to work all day and you want to cook it longer when you leave), 7 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions about Crock Pot Whole Chicken
How long does it take to cook chicken in Crockpot?
For a typical 3-4 pounds of chicken, you need to cook it in a slow cooker for about 4 to 5 hours at high temperature or 7 hours at low temperature. The time may vary depending on the size of the bird and your personal slow cooker and how soft you want the end result to be.
Cooking skills: Try not to lift the lid during cooking, because you will want to keep the heat. Once it is done, you can chop up a few pieces with a fork and see how easy it is to separate to check the maturity. The end result should not be difficult at all.
Can I cook a frozen whole chicken?
For food safety reasons, you should not cook frozen whole chickens in a slow cooker.Make sure to defrost completely before cooking (see How to defrost meat safely to know more information).
The ideal way to thaw meat is to spend the night in the refrigerator.
- A chicken (5 lbs or less) can usually be thawed in 24 hours or less
- It may take 2-3 days for a large whole chicken to be safely thawed in the refrigerator
If you think your chicken is still a bit cold in the middle, you need to increase the cooking time.
Is it safe to cook a whole chicken in a slow cooker?
Absolutely! If you want to be extra careful, you can always make sure to cook the whole chicken at high temperature within the first hour (if you also plan to cook at low temperature). Since we provide an option to cook it for the entire time of this recipe, this requirement is met.
Should I add water?
There is no need to add water, because chicken and onions will produce their own juices when cooking. Adding water will only produce a drenched chicken in the end.
How to get brown, crispy skin
If you like crispy chicken skin, you can still achieve this by placing the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet after it is cooked and placing it under the broiler for about 4-5 minutes. Be sure to let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
How to remove the meat from the whole chicken
With this recipe, once completed, the meat will basically fall off the bones. But because chicken is very hot, you must be careful not to burn yourself when removing as much meat as possible from the chicken. Here are some tips:
- Use tongs and forks to remove most of the chicken (thighs, legs, wings) from the slow cooker and place them on a plate/cutting board so that they can cool down briefly.
- Use your fingers (or spoon) to separate the ribs from the underside of each breast, and then remove the meat piece.
- If you want to eat the whole piece, trim the larger part, or cut off the meat and set aside. When making the overnight chicken soup, throw any skin/fat/bones back into the crock pot.
- Next, remove the carcass from the slow cooker and place it on a plate/cutting board. When it is cool enough, use a fork and fingers to pick out each small piece of meat and place it in a bowl or storage container. These small pieces are perfect for making chicken salads, soups, enchiladas and more! Put anything but the meat back into the crock.
How to make overnight chicken soup
I am glad I learned about this from a friend of mine many years ago.Once you have plucked all the meat, throw the carcasses and bones back in the crock pot (leave the onions and cooking juice there too) so you can Make chicken soup. This is a good way to not waste any part of the chicken.
I usually start cooking chicken broth after dinner, add water to the slow cooker, and then add whatever I have on hand… bay leaves, carrots, celery, onions, parsley and thyme. Even if I lack parsley or celery, I still do it, and the result is always good.I stayed low all night, and then in the morning, I pulled it in Jars It can be stored in the refrigerator without a shoulder (the jar in the picture has a shoulder and does not have a freeze safety label!). It works very well, it couldn’t be easier.